Hilton Brisbane Celebrates National Recycling Week
Back in November 2020, Hilton Brisbane, celebrated National Recycling Week by acknowledging their environmental initiatives and recycling programs implemented over the past year.
Team Members have been hard at work incorporating recycling schemes across every facet of the hotel to ensure waste is reduced and product can be donated where possible to local community charities. This is once again a testament of Hilton’s efforts to doubling its investment in social impact and cutting its environmental footprint in half by 2030, as part of Travel with Purpose, Hilton’s corporate responsibility strategy.
Hilton Brisbane works with several local and national partners to ensure waste is being disposed of in the most useful and sustainable way.
Hilton Brisbane’s Recycling Initiatives:
1. Recycles all waste soap from guest rooms which is then upcycled to new bars of soap and distributed to developing countries and communities in need through Soap Aid
2. Collects single use bottles as part of the ReturnIt scheme and with its profits the hotel supports community partners and other Travel with Purpose initiatives.
3. Donates all edible / usable food waste to OzHarvest for those in need instead of disposing in general waste
4. Single use coffee cups are donated to Closed Loop to be recycled into items of higher value
5. Donates small bottles of leftover amenities to OrangeSky for their shower services
6. Donates pre-loved corporate wear to Suited for Success, which provides assistance to disadvantaged locals seeking employment
7. Recycles toothbrushes and oral care products through Terracycle
8. Donates retired beds and mattresses to the Inala Youth Service
9. Old sheets are repurposed to make pillowcases or other linen items instead of throwing them out, any other items are donated to charity
10. Oil is collected by an oil recycling company
11. Lightbulbs are recycled through Pr-Lamps
12. All general waste that cannot be recycled is sent to the Ti-Tree Bio Energy plant, which turns waste into energy
The Team at the Hilton Brisbane has demonstrated its place as a leader in our industry and community as we have proudly supported a number of local and global initiatives over the years.
The Brisbane hotel was recently inducted into the Hall of Fame for their Outstanding Community Service 100+ employees, as well as being recognised as a finalist for Best Environmental Practice at the recent 2019 Queensland Hotel Association Awards held in Brisbane in October 2019.
Chris Partridge, General Manager at Hilton Brisbane, said, “our Team Members work meticulously to ensure the hotel is tackling waste management and reducing our environmental footprint through every avenue possible.
“National Recycling Week is a fantastic opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to the community and help make Hilton’s Travel with Purpose goals a reality, by celebrating the key milestones thus far”, said Mr Partridge.
Earlier this year, Hilton Brisbane commemorated the hotel chain’s 100th anniversary by planting 100 trees in a local Mt Gravatt parkland to give back to the community, offset their carbon emissions and leave a legacy for many years to come.